Saturday, October 14, 2006

Making Dinner
I have been making dinner for many, many years. Now most people would think that I have it easy. You see, I don't cook on weekends. My husband has since 1973. He also cooks lots of holidays and I have to carve out my own parts of those meals.

Just the same, I do prepare a lot of meals. I am also blessed in that my husband will eat a lot of different foods. Not tofu, at least if he recognizes it, but still, lots and lots of foods. The thing is, though, he is a carnivore and feels like if he doesn't get meat, he isn't getting a meal.

I am moving away from eating meat. Tonight, I told him that I had had about enough chicken for a lifetime. I rarely eat beef or pork these days, either.

So, I am on the hunt for some new recipes. I picked up The Antioxidant Save-Your-Life Cookbook at the library. Somehow, though, I don't think many of these recipes, as healthful as they may be, will be on my list for making ever. Shimmering Tuna in Aspic does not appeal to me. I don't think we will like Broccoli Pudding, as much as we both like broccoli. And Brussels Sprouts with Grapes? I don't think so. Time to look in another cook book.

The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook looks as though it may have more possibilities. Yet why or why do they have to put cheese in so many of them? I like cheese, but I also get tired of it, and it has rather more fat than I want for many days.

Quail a l' Orange? No way. He'd eat it. I would not. Baked veal? Same story. I could never eat veal or lamb.

Several recipes call for half-and-half cream. Those must be for waifs that want to put on weight. Not meant for most of us.

I will have to keep looking. In the meantime, if you have any sure-fire recipes that don't take three bowls and four hours to make, shoot me an e-mail. We're really not finicky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home