Friday, October 06, 2006

Knee Pain and Exercise
Yesterday, I walked on the treadmill. When I was done, my right knee was a little sore. Tonight, before I began on the treadmill, it was sorer still. Instead of doing as I had in the past and skipping my exercise, I decided to take two aspirin and just walk at 3.5 mph with no incline. I used to walk with an incline but stopped when I got knee pain before.
It seems to me, that if I wait until all pains are gone, I won't be getting enough exercise. I don't know if this is the right approach. However, when I don't exercise, my weight creeps up. I want to get my weight down. That's why, even though I like our ritual of reading the paper, having breakfast together and then taking Alan to his acting class on Saturday morning, I will get up, shower and go to Curves. It opens at 8 a. m. I can go over there, do my half hour of exercise on the machines, maybe skip the stretching, and get home in time to change and go to the acting class. I want to go along because that is the time Don and I have together without Alan. It is like a date, even though we usually run errands. Sometimes we do wander in Borders or go to a coffee shop. Mostly, though, Don gets to choose where we go and it is someplace like Lowe's or the 99 cents store. I just like being with him without having other people to take care of or to interrupt. It makes me calmer and more able to cope with whatever else comes in the day.
So, I still have the dilemma of whether or not to walk when my knee hurts, but I also have new resolve to get exercise at Curves three times a week at least and walk on the treadmill five or six days a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherri said...

On knee pain and walking: I find thatI only have knee pain from walking when I am not well hydrated. As long as I drink enough water and bring some water along if it is a long walk, I don't have pain.

Isn't it nice to have a bit of alone time with dh, even if it is just running errands?

11:12 AM  
Blogger walking said...

Mary, two things have helped me with various joints aching during exercise:
a good glucosamine sulfate supplement and looking on line for information about the exact pain. I used to have really heel pains and found out they were heel spurs. Several articles recommended exercises for it and, after a few weeks of stretching in the right places, the pain stopped!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home