Saturday, December 09, 2006

Inn of the Seventh Ray

Last night, my husband and I went to a dinner which was put on by someone in his company. It was held at The Inn of the Seventh Ray. This is an "in" restaurant in the southern California area. It was one of those places I am glad I have been but am not wanting to go back to. If someone mentions it, I can say, "Oh, yes, I've been there."

Once a date took my daughter, Catherine, there to eat. She said she saw Dick Clark there. I imagine there are often stars who dine there because it is secluded in the Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu.

I can't say it was a miserable experience. However, one eats outside, and in this season, in a covered tent, under a heat lamp. The food is supposed to be spectacular. I ordered risotto as a vegetarian dish. I have never had risotto that tasted like a tomato sauce and I am not at all sure it was risotto. Also, don't order "dessert in a glass." I thought I was getting a dessert that was served in a stemware. Instead, it was an alcoholic beverage and I had already stopped drinking my second glass of a lovely chardonnay because I didn't want to get tipsy. I left it on the table. We were off in a corner in a large group, so we had no opportunity to gawk and see if anyone famous was also there.

For my part, if one wants a memorable place to dine in southern California, find a restaurant which is beside the Pacific Ocean and with a huge picture window. Get a table where you can see the view. I never care what I am served there. I always love to watch the ocean and often see dolphins and seals to keep me amused, along with the pelicans and sea gulls. And don't eat outdoors and have to pretend that you feel warm enough. It is hard to be cheerful when feeling chilled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home