Sunday, December 03, 2006

Disconnect

There seems to be a disconnect between men and women's perception of violence. I hate, hate, hate being subjected to violence, especially at night and especially if it is something that actually could happen. I have nightmares. My husband knows this fact. He continues to watch World War II replayed endlessly. Fortunately, he watches that in his den where I don't have to hear it.

Last night, there was a t. v. show on that discussed some high school students murdering their teacher. He was trying to teach me how to use our new TIVO. He didn't get that off fast enough and I left. Tonight, we tried again. I wanted to tape MythBusters but we realized we had seen that particular program. Next, he decided he wanted to delete a show. "We want to delete this," he said. So, again, I was subjected to the very same headline about the kids murdering their teacher. I yelled. I had had it. I left.

One of my e-pals says her husband wants to record and watch endless Gunsmoke episodes. Ones he has likely seen before. She doesn't want to hear them. He does want her company at other times but he doesn't realize that this is driving a wedge.

My sister remarked that her husband watches the same kind of shows relentlessly. I don't know how she manages when they are staying in their RV without a separate bedroom. This new one has only a curtain between the bedroom and the main living area. Hopefully, he has headphones.

These are fellows who love their wives, all three. Why, oh, why don't they see that these kinds of visual images and the sounds that go with them are driving us away, making us disgusted and therefore not wanting to be affectionate with them?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Junosmom said...

I can't sleep either with those images. It seems to be getting worse as I get older. Don't like horror, don't like thrillers.

5:59 AM  
Blogger walking said...

I'm with you except it depends upon the plot. I hate gangster movies (The Godfather and their ilk), but I can handle epic scenes for movies based upon books I love (The Lord of the Rings and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). I can watch The Patriot but tune out for the worst scenes because the plot is good and it was filmed here in the swamps of Carolina!

I hate horror and will watch thrillers if the gross parts are left to the imagination. Otherwise, I won't watch it.

When my dh picks a movie I don't like, I find something else to do. Work in the kitchen, read a book in another room, etc. We don't have cable/satellite/network television, so we do have far fewer conflicts.

His taste and my taste in movies and books are very different. We do agree on one thing--we both loathe "chick" flicks. :-P

Tammy
http://aut2bhomeincarolina.blogspot.com

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home