Tuesday, July 03, 2007

R-C-R

For a long time, we have been attempting R/C/R with Alan. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, the guide is supposed to get a pattern or rhythm going which the child follows. Then the guide changes it somehow. After the change, the two of you, the guide and the person with autism, go back smoothly to doing the original pattern or rhythm. This is called regulate, challenge, regulate.

Sometimes we are successful getting a rhythm or pattern going, especially if we keep the episode short.

More often, though, Alan will do something to disrupt the pattern or rhythm or begin to repeat himself (stem) verbally.


The other day, I began to clap with him after we had finished another activity. I put the objects down and simply began to clap my hands and then raise them for Alan to clap. He began to do the rhythm. However, just as I thought I might be able to challenge him, he began to annoyingly hit my hands repeatedly when they were in the air. I tried to re-establish the rhythm by frowning at him and continuing on. He was persistent, however. The next time my hands were up, he tried again to disrupt the rhythm by hitting my hands repeatedly.

I don't know how to keep him doing a pattern long enough to keep him from being the one to change it. This is becoming a difficult obstacle. Ideas are appreciated.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger walking said...

I have no idea! I do not fully get the RCR thing. In some ways, we have done this for many years. For example, when I taught Pamela how to do French knots for candlewicking, we had to establish a pattern and keep it going. Then I faded myself out when she could do it on her own. When she was younger and I taught her to skip count coins, that involved doing a pattern in which I pointed and she counted. I would try to remain steady until she got it and then vary my pace to make sure she was not simply doing it by rote.

I think I am weak on this area of RDI because I do not fully understand the purpose of it.

What if you did the pattern to music to develop the habit of following a pattern first, then fade out the music. One song would be long enough for you to be able to make a variation before its end.

Music is an area in which it is important to GET IT RIGHT FIRST before doing variations. Too many people doing too many variations can make a complete mess if you are still learning the song.

5:24 AM  
Blogger MasterpieceMom said...

I'm new at all of this too, but it sounds like you're working on Guided Participation thru the rcr cycles. So i would keep it very short and sweet. Is he getting bored quickly? Maybe challenge him sooner in the activity. I did an activity with my ds which was putting magnets on the fridge. The first one or two we did normal, but since he knew what to do, i started changing it up right away. Then each one i did was different. On the side, up high, down low, on the freezer beside fridge etc. Then stop the activity before you think he may start trying to take control. End on a positive note and make a big deal about how you had fun together.

I'm just throwing this out. I don't really know exactly what you've tried, so feel free to ignore me. lol Have you talked to your consultant about your concerns?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Junosmom said...

Mary,
Just here to say what a great mom you are!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home