Saturday, June 23, 2007

Don't Wake Me, Please!
Anyone who knows me, knows I love my husband and son. I have to preface this bit with assurance that I do love them.
My husband is one of those people who can lay his head down for a few minutes, close his eyes and nap. He can tell himself to wake up in half and hour and do so, refreshed. He has no comprehension of the difficulty with which I go to sleep.
Our son never, ever naps. He gave those up before he began to lose his primary teeth. He just doesn't nap. In addition, he regards me as a sort of appliance much of the time. Remember, he is autistic. He has not yet learned to take my perspective much.
For the past few nights, I have not been sleeping well. I really needed to rest last evening. I did finally get to sleep after reading a magazine while Don and Alan watched Liar, Liar. They were happily occupied.
After that, Alan arrived in our bedroom. He was holding my daybook, which is the record of what he does for school during each day. In most evenings now, he does some independent study which he wants recorded. So help me, he came in while I was sleeping and stood there with the book in his hand, staring me awake. I was mad! Don removed him, and lectured him for waking me up. But that wasn't the end of it, no siree!
I was so tired, I fell back asleep. Ah, blessed rest. When Don wanted to go to bed, though, he came in and he woke me up! To go to sleep! He believed I would want to get up, get my night clothes on and go to sleep. Do you have any idea how long it took me to fall asleep after that? Hours and hours of hot, non-sleep, lying there, playing all the mind tricks I could to fall asleep. I did not, however, go downstairs and hang out as I usually do in an effort not to disturb my husband's sleep. It was a weekend night and he did not have to get himself up for work on Saturday. And, he figured I needed to be wakened to go to sleep! This is an intelligent man, who I love dearly, and to whom I have been married for almost 38 years. When he is sleeping, even if it is on a sofa or fully clothed on the bed, I never wake him. I figure he can work out his sleeping arrangements by himself. He is capable of taking off his clothes in the middle of the night and climbing under the covers. Please let me be if I ever manage to get to sleep!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Junosmom said...

An idea from someone who also has trouble going to sleep sometimes: music or books on tape with headphones. Often for me, it's my mind thinking of things that prevents it from going to sleep. The tapes seem to take my mind off my mind, and I go to sleep then without disturbing dh.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home