Monday, November 26, 2007

Trying Out Profanity

Tonight, Alan was in the shower for a long, long time. I knocked on his bathroom door and told him he needed to wind it up. Finally, I told him, "Get out, now! There is a drought." Next thing I heard was "Goddamnit! God Damn drought! Damn it!" He did turn the water off and get out. I left for my study downstairs. I heard his Dad's voice having a word with him about the profanity.

After a few minutes passed, I told him he needed to put his dogs out and get ready to brush our teeth together. This time I heard, "Bummer! I wanted to get my autodidact finished." That made me smile. It is so age appropriate.

We are back to brushing our teeth together because at the orthodontist's visit today, the hygienist came out and told me that the braces will have to come off if he doesn't keep his teeth cleaner. We did brush together for three or four months. Then, he seemed to be doing fine on his own after we returned from our summer vacation. I have to say, since he spent a long time in the bathroom, I assumed he was doing the same job as before. Now we will have to set up the egg timer again. Do you have any idea how long three minutes are when you are brushing your teeth beside your son who is two inches taller than you are? Maybe I can make a few lighter moments out of it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger walking said...

Tag! You're it! (I got tagged and am returning the favor.)

I have a funny use of profanity from Pamela. Two years ago, we were riding with my mother and sister to a peach orchard. My sister was driving, and my mother was up front giving directions. Pamela, David, and I were sitting in the back.

My mother gave confusing directions, and my sister blurted out, "Sh**, Mom!"

Very quietly from the back, Pamela says, "Don't say sh** stuff!"

5:13 AM  
Blogger Junosmom said...

Perhaps it is too "young" for Alan, but had a similar problem with my son not brushing long enough. Got one of those singing toothbrushes. Plays a song if you brush, stops when you stop. Have to brush until song is over. If they sold them with Mozart, I'd buy one for myself. It's hard to judge two or three minutes.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home