Saturday, November 10, 2007

Yearly Gala

Tonight's the night. It is the night of our only major dress-up occasion of the year. This year, the company dinner and dance is being held near our home. Last year, we rented a room in the Woodland Hills hotel where the event took place and Alan stayed there happily alone. We called him several times and we went up to the room about three times in the five hours we were at the event. He played on his computer, watched a movie and the last time we went up to check on him, he was putting himself to bed.

This year, we are leaving him at home. He will not leave the house. He will bring the two dogs inside and he will do his self-set homework which we call his autodidact. He will make his own supper and eat it and take care of feeding the dogs. We will be fifteen to twenty minutes away. Our daughters will call him on the phone and we will, too, just to keep him company. Alan may consider them unwelcome interruptions. Everyone is pretty sure he will be doing what he would be doing if we were here at home with him.

Meanwhile, Don and I will be at the Reagan Library and Museum just up the road. I have been to the hilltop site three times with Alan for his social skills group he used to attend. Every Christmastime, they would go there to see the trees decorated from different traditions. I would stay outside with one or two of the other moms drinking coffee and chatting. We did not want to pay the admission fee and plus our kids were supposed to be going with the one adult chaperone and we were not to tag along directing them, which would defeat the purpose of the class.

Now, there is also Air Force One at the Reagan Museum, which is a big draw. We are supposed to be eating at tables set up just outside it. I hope that I do get a tour of it. If not, I will insist on being taken back another time to tour it because I am told it is worth it. Also, this very day, the exhibit of Nancy Reagan's dresses throughout the years opens to the public. I don't know if it will be part of tonight's event or not. I surely hope so. I wouldn't want to pay to see the ensembles, but it would be interesting to see them for free.

I have a new little black dress. I wish I were more svelte than I am, but it looked decent last night when I tried it on. I have a beaded evening bag, which is like it is new to me, because it sat in Don's closet for a couple of years since he hung it up in his suit bag when we were at some out-of-town event. He forgot he had it and it remained hidden. I replaced it with a fifteen dollar evening bag from Target boutique. I figured that anyone who recognized that the purse came from Target and not from some tonier shoppe also had something from there. However, tonight I am carrying the beaded bag. The shoes have a little heel but they are sturdier than the usual pumps. I need some I can dance in. These have been worn before and are tried and true. I no longer wear any high heels. I also have a beaded cardigan to wear in case we are chilled. Don gave that to me five years ago for Christmas. I have been to enough of these galas where the air conditioners were pumping in such cold air I and others have had goose bumps. Of course, the men in their suit jackets were more comfortable. This week my hair got maintenance so no roots are showing. This morning, I went for a manicure.

It doesn't hurt to feel less invisible now and then. To feel special. I am looking forward to having a fun evening with my husband.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger walking said...

I hope you and Don had a great time kicking up your heels! You deserve to have a fun night out on the town with your traveling man!

I am with you on high-heels; I never wore them much, even when I could. Why should a naturally clumsy person dare fate with stilettos?

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home