Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cotton Candy Clouds
There are only two times of day when the clouds can have the color and appearance of cotton candy. One is in the early morning as the dawn breaks. I prefer not to get up to see those. If I happen to be up, I do enjoy them, but I don't like to get up just to see them or for any other reason. I am not an early riser by nature. I am a confirmed night owl. I feel best in the late afternoon and on into the early hours of the next day. Due to my life's choices, I have to go to sleep before I am ready to let go so I can get up to do my job the next day. I do so, but reluctantly.
Tonight, my government gave me a present. You see, some people hate Daylight Saving Time. Those of my acquaintance are early risers who don't like to get up in the dark. They want to see the dawn. I'm sorry, but they get the latter half of the year and now I, and others like me, get the second half. Tonight was the first night it was light all the way home.
What was the present? The present was that soft glowing light just before sunset. The clouds tonight were large and puffy, called cumulus clouds. They began to be tinged just a little with an orangey pink as we left the gym. As I drove along the country road which takes us home, they deepened a little bit with every mile that passed. People were out walking. Children were playing organized sports in the park. And I didn't have to drive in the dark, hoping no deer or dog would dart out in front of me.
When I pulled into our driveway, I got another look at those clouds, now like spun cotton candy, lacking the paper cone to hold them. They were magnificent. I hold them in my mind's eye, thinking of their awesome size and color. I see them there now in the darkness that has fallen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home