Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Blessing My Body

Like many people, especially female people, but some men do this too, I am constantly telling myself that I need to do something about the less than good appearance of one body part or another.

It has occurred to me, that I need to be grateful that most parts work just fine. Oh, my receding memory for names means that I now write names down as soon as I get home. Soon, I fear, I'll have to carry a 3 x 5 file card so that I can jot a name as soon as I hear it. Maybe the person will be pleased and maybe they will think I'm dotty. I don't care. I don't like the feeling of knowing I should know someone's name and not being able to recall it when I see him. One Dad at the meeting last night said his name and by the time I got home, it was no longer available to me. Maybe it was Joe? Also, I don't run much anymore, and when I do, I am soon winded. My knees hurt me, now and then, also. This has mostly been taken care of by wearing shoes with inserts to correct something called over-pronation, and, I hope, exercising regularly.

The writer of a yoga book I have out of the library suggested something radical to me. I am familiar with asking for blessing from a higher power. That concept is central to many religions. What I had not yet considered, is my own ability to bless my body parts. This additional notion resonates with me. She says to bless your body parts when you wake up and again in the evening, and to bless your good deeds of the day. She concludes, "Everything in your being is being moved by your spirit. Talk to it and befriend it." Thank you, Shakta Khalsa, for giving me this.

I think I will also pull out my gratitude journal. I had better get busy thinking of 5 things I am grateful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home