Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Don't Want a Truck!
Today, Don took my van in for servicing. Then we drove in his car on the freeway to Alan's acting class. I haven't driven on freeways for years and years, not since the late 80s. Prior to the van, I drove a station wagon. I have driven sedans and way back when, a VW van. When Don got the estimate for repairs, he said we needed to talk about whether to keep the van or not.

Once home, he suggested that we buy a truck. Then he would drive the truck back and forth on the freeway, just 8 miles or so, to work during the week. On the weekend, he would drive the car he bought last spring. He proposed that I drive the sedan during the week.

The kicker is, besides the fact that I don't want to drive his new car, that I would have to drive the truck when he had the sedan to drive into L. A. on occasion, or when he had to drive people from work to an offsite meeting.

Wah! I don't want to drive a truck, even with a crew cab. Lest you think I am afraid of driving said truck, I learned to drive on a two ton truck. My Dad had a light trucking business. I drove plenty of standard transmission trucks. Enough to say that I don't want to drive a truck ever now.

I suggested that he can get a truck when he retires if he wants. Then I am less likely to have to drive it. I don't see that there is a big advantage to him to have a truck over the van for hauling stuff in a suburban setting. We'll see what happens. For now, I am keeping my van.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home